On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Kuhn understood that scientists are emotional creatures, given to biases
> and fads of various kinds, and that this makes even the hard sciences an
> eminently social endeavor.

Its far worse than Kuhn indicates.  He misdiagnoses the problem.

Its not, primarily, a problem with pathway dependence in neurological
development.

Its primarily a problem with financial dependence on political institutions.

I wrote about this in an essay titled Yeoman As the Foundation of
Scientific
Revolutions<http://jimbowery.blogspot.com/2007/01/yeomen-as-foundation-of-scientific.html>
.

The reason this is far worse than Kuhn indicates is that it is entirely
conceivable that such financial dependence could enslave generation after
generation of "scientists".  Moreover, it is an unnecessary indictment of
age-related cognitive structure to adopt Kuhn's hypothesis as is evidenced,
for example, by E. O. Wilson's late age revolution in his thinking about
eusociality in contradiction to his claim to popular fame in sociobiology.
 Indeed, cold fusion itself indicates that quite a few folks of advanced
age -- particularly those who are rendered financially independent by
tenure or retirement -- are more capable of objective evaluation of the
evidence than are those who are pursuing careers sensitive to political
nuance.

I hate to think what would have become of Newton or Darwin had they not
been among the relatively independent British middle (yeoman) class.