________________________________
 Von: Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com>
An: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Gesendet: 2:39 Freitag, 8.Juni 2012
Betreff: Re: [Vo]:Rossi versus common sense

Jed,

Guenter Wildgruber <gwildgru...@ymail.com> wrote:

the spoilers in the LENR-field are Rossi and DGT.

>extraordinary claims, no proof.

You exaggerate.

Maybe. Maybe not.

The claims are no more extraordinary than any others in this field. Only the
scale is larger. 50 mW of excess heat is as extraordinary as 1 MW.

Yes, they are!
a) is a matter of principle. See the speed of light-issue at CERN. Every tiny
bit counts, and potentially shatters the dominant paradigm.

With LENR it is unclear, whether this is the case.
It could be an up-to-now overlooked special case.
Widom Larsen eg are compliant with the dominant paradigm.

With Randall Mills  this is a bit different. He actually challenges the
paradigm:
...'standard quantum mechanics cannot encompass hydrino states, with the
properties currently attributed to them'"

b) (1MW, 600degC, 800$/10kWunit) is a matter of  technology, materials, process
control, deep understanding of what's going on etc.

Now, I must confess that Rossi's recent 600degC claim made me really angry!
What he demonstrated up to now was garage-level-technology, sloppy
demonstrations, unidentified fabrication facilities, obscure financiers etc.

I'm not the first to notice that, and do not want to mindlessly repeat what is
up in the blathersphere, but wanted to put up an eminently practical argument
by my own thinking, which goes about like this:
Any thermal process statistically has hotter and colder spots, which -to be
sustainable- depend on the homogeneity of the material.
Example: tungsten wire in a lightbulb, where the thermally excited 'elements'
are connected in SERIES, in contrast to our hypothetical LENR-reactor, where
the 'elements' are effectively parallel.
Nevertheless, depending on their homogeneity, they occasionally melt and
DEAKTIVATE themselves by losing their structure, as even Rossi admits. This is
an intrinsic safety issue, right?

Now, operating a reactor over 40days = 3e6 seconds =3e9msec over an unkown
surface area, say 1e4 to 1e5mm^2, leads to a very sensible HYPOTHETICAL effect,
where say an apriori unknown number of 100nm^3  H-loaded Ni-structures produce
energies SIGNIFICANTLY below the melting point of Ni, because otherwise the
structure would be destroyed within usecs, thus only producing only miniscule
(!!) amounts of energy. (here we are again: point (a) )

Rossi claims to have reached this point sustainably:
A homogenous, well behaved,  heat producing LENR reaction, with all its
annoying trivialities like materials selection, excitation (I doubt that simple
sparking would do the job), control, heat removal etc.
The holy grail of LENR.

Which I doubt.

But on the other hand: I'm no genius.
Only a footsoldier, fighting his way through the woods of reality.

Under these premises I'm very reluctant to give up my common sense in favor of
Rossi, the Marx Brothers or Karl May.
(just joking)

All the best. We are a civilized lot.

Guenther