When I lived in SoCal I visited Dr. Rueda several times to discuss his work
on inertia and the electromagnetic zero-point field. their seminal paper
came out in 1994.  Dr. Rueda did the math in that paper, which is waaaaay
above my pay-grade!   I now see that they've been applying their work to
atomic physics.

Update on an Electromagnetic Basis for Inertia, Gravitation,

the Principle of Equivalence, Spin and Particle Mass Ratios

http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0209016.pdf

Abstract

A possible connection between the electromagnetic quantum vacuum and inertia
was first published by Haisch, Rueda and Puthoff (1994).  If correct, this
would imply that mass may be an electromagnetic phenomenon and thus in
principle subject to modification, with possible technological implications
for propulsion.  A multiyear NASA-funded study at the Lockheed Martin
Advanced Technology Center further developed this concept, resulting in an
independent theoretical validation of the fundamental approach (Rueda and
Haisch, 1998ab).  Distortion of the quantum vacuum in accelerated reference
frames results in a force that appears to account for inertia.  We have now
shown that the same effect occurs in a region of curved spacetime, thus
elucidating the origin of the principle of equivalence (Rueda, Haisch and
Tung, 2001).

[ I separated out the rest of the abstract for emphasis ]

A further connection with general relativity has been drawn by Nickisch and
Mollere (2002):  zero-point fluctuations give rise to spacetime
micro-curvature effects yielding a complementary perspective on the origin
of inertia.  Numerical simulations of this effect demonstrate the manner in
which a massless fundamental particle, e.g. an electron, acquires inertial
properties; this also shows the apparent origin of particle spin along lines
originally proposed by Schrodinger.  Finally, we suggest that the heavier
leptons (muon and tau) may be explainable as spatial-harmonic resonances of
the (fundamental) electron.  They would carry the same overall charge, but
with the charge now having spatially lobed structure, each lobe of which
would respond to higher frequency components of the electromagnetic quantum
vacuum, thereby increasing the inertia and thus manifesting a heavier mass.

And in another paper at arXiv, I believe they incorporate a polarizable
vacuum:

Gravity and the Quantum Vacuum Inertia Hypothesis

http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0504061.pdf

Makes me seriously regret not having the math skills to express my
qualitative models quantitatively.

G'nite all.

-Mark