Jed,

You are tough and rightly so.
Now Einstein had his peculiarities in his personal live and possibly other
aspects.
Being a womanizer and such, which I personally do not quite find very amusing,
whatever.

But this is not what it is all about.
It is about the peers and the attitude towards them.
Eg Newton was a bloody bigot, speculating in the stock market and such while
reading the bible every day.
Maybe at his time this all nicely fitted together in a latter day realization
of protestant ethics, which he should have found, that this is is a silly
imagination. Seems to be more difficult than postulating the law of gravity,
right?

So maybe I have to retreat to an abstract ideal of a honest person-- the
hypothetical 'Jesus' of an agnostic I am, as a norm of decent behavior.

The 'ideal' You refer to, which I tried to deconstruct, is some protestant
ethic person as a posterboy for capitalism, which as such does not exist either.

So let us agree that we are en par wrt that.

(Btw, complaints mount, that this is something offtopic. I beg to differ. This
belongs to the large scheme of things.)

What You seem to see as an excuse, concerning Rossi --that he is human, all-to
human-- for me is a suspicion.
maybe unjustified, maybe not.
If it were so easy.

Guenter