Critically, during the compression stroke the noble gasses are not in a
conductive state.  The helium atoms are likely very thoroughly mixed,
although I'm open to arguments to the contrary.

Moreover, when I talked to Bob, he said that the current through the coils
was very low.  I don't recall what the current was, but to achieve
significant magnetic confinement you need high currents.