A correct statement might be that "John Rohner uses magnetic confinement to
keep the helium located axially at the center of the cylinder."

The majority of the time there is no magnetic confinement. The only reason
helium _might_ remain at the center of the cylinder is that, being of lower
molecular weight, it is more easily driven to the center during the brief
periods of axial confinement and, once there, the deionized state helium
atoms will have to diffuse outward toward the edges.

However, even this hope is unlikely to be true since during the compression
stroke the helium gas is undergoing turbulence and therefore is likely
highly mixed with the consequent migration to the edges of the cylinder.