At 12:43 PM 8/16/2012, James Bowery wrote:
Critically, during the compression stroke the noble gasses are not in a conductive state. The helium atoms are likely very thoroughly mixed, although I'm open to arguments to the contrary.

Moreover, when I talked to Bob, he said that the current through the coils was very low. I don't recall what the current was, but to achieve significant magnetic confinement you need high currents.

I thought the purpose of the coils was to generate the high voltages for the spark.