Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

Is there any way to guesstimate – assuming the best reasonable kind of
> insulation is added to retain heat, something like aerogel, etc – how much
> more mass of active wire (if any) would be necessary to get close to a
> nominally self-sustaining system?

The present mass of wire would be fine. Any kind of insulation would do.
The hard part is keeping it from overheating. Assuming the heat really is
15 to 20 W, it should be no problem using that much to keep the temperature
above the critical point of ~120 deg C.

The system will be externally heated at first, and then the external heat
will be backed off as it self-heats.

Celani already had plans to do this. He hopes to try in about 2 weeks. He
will report the results immediately, to me and others. It may take a while
to write a detailed report.

He hopes to give me the data from the run at ICCF17, which is about 5 MB.
He has to get permission from NI since it is their equipment. I gather that
is a formality.