On Sep 4, 2012, at 6:30 AM, Giovanni Santostasi <gsantost...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What happens is that your muscles are like springs and they are getting
> stretched by the weight. When they are stretched beyond a point the muscle
> pulls back and then relaxes, this over and over again and this oscillatory
> motion does indeed work.

Somehow this explanation reminds me that annoying anomaly in classical physics
is just explained away by inventing epicycles. Classical physics is based on
simplified conception of reality. It does not deal with gravity and permanent
electromagnetic forces that are making bodies rigid and solid.

I still think that Terry's explanation is incomplete, because I assume that
permanent magnets are demagnetised more slowly if magnets are cooled
significantly. If neodymium magnets are heated close to 80ºC, the will
demagnetise very rapidly. And my assumption is that demagnetisation rate is
close to zero near absolute zero.

—Jouni