Because the idea of the ether they were after (i.e. were trying to confirm) was completely mechanicistic. They never expected light would "sink" or "shorten" into the direction of movement. That is, *longitudinally*.

Corolarium 1: The Universe is not mechanicistic. Light, at least, completely evades a mere mechanicistic representation. If the Universe were mechanicistic, it would be a dead, and dark, one. Corolarium 2: That "sink" or "shortening" must imply something. Conservation of energy, remember?

Now, one hundred years after, give or take a couple of decades: Are we ready to really understand this? Or we'll continue to play shell games and dumb?