As others have pointed out, the only safe answer is to treat all
electrolysis experiments with respect, doing them with adequate
ventilation, whether that means under a fume hood or outdoors or the like.

Of course we may break these rules and get away with many things, up until
the unfortunate moment when we don't get away with it.

Jeff