It's possible that as the electrolyte evaporates, and there is not
sufficient electrolyte to make a fully-immersed path from anode to cathode
(you'll have to confirm that), there are moments when the liquid withdraws
from point(s) on one of the electrodes - because of the tendency of water
to form minimum-area surfaces due to surface tension, for example.

At this moment, even a relatively low voltage might be enough to arc across
the tiny, just-formed air gap between the exposed cathode and the
withdrawing electrolyte. The arc would be visible as a tiny spark. The
spark could vaporize a tiny bit of the withdrawing water, and the
conductivity of the microscopic puff of steam could kill the arc a moment
later. This effect could occur repeatedly and rapidly.

Jeff