Eric, I am running 3 amps of DC through my system.  The sparks occur when the
electrolyte is getting low, deposits are collecting on both nickels, and the
supply voltage is varying a lot.  I would guess that I am getting a couple of
amps per square cm due to the deposits covering nickel area and many large
bubbles as the electrolyte is boiling.

There are sparks and bright yellow looking flashes that are very near or on the
negative terminal connected nickel.  I also see puffs of smoke rising after a
large flash.  These displays are quite interesting to watch.

My supply most likely has a large capacitor connected across its output since I
found that the two nickels will stick together with a bright flash if I allow
them to touch when out of the cell.  I wonder if the excess burst of energy due
to capacitor discharge is evolved in the activity.

This behavior appears every time I allow the electrolyte to boil until the cell
is almost dry.

Dave