Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <a...@lomaxdesign.com> wrote:

> Cart before the horse, Peter. The first issues are scientific, and
> exploring the parameter space is *more difficult* if, at the same time,
> high "signal" is required. "Pushing noise down" by careful experimental
> design can save a lot of money and time.

I agree. I think the NRL in Washington goes overboard with this approach,
but generally speaking, I agree.

Sometimes you can measure a lower level of heat with more confidence than
higher level. Small-scale calorimeters work better. See:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJbutterside.pdf

This could be why STMicroelectronics (a.k.a. "Big International
Company") is using a smaller amount of wire than Celani, with a different
cell and calorimeter configuration (according to Celani).

> If the exact conditions for heat production are not known, if they depend
> on very difficult-to-control conditions, such as the exact size and number
> of cracks in palladium deuteride, as appears to be the case with the FPHE,
> then your scaled-up experiment might unexpectedly produce a lot more heat
> than you expected. It's dangerous. Pons and Fleischmann scaled *down* for
> exactly this reason.

Exactly right.

> In a similar way, "reliability" is certainly desirable. However, if we
> don't have "reliability," if, say, half our experiments shown nothing while
> the other half, seemingly the same, show significant heat, we are not
> stopped and we need not -- and should not -- demand reliability before
> proceeding. Heat/helium was conclusively demonstrated with not-reliable
> experiments, that is the power of correlation. The "dead cells" serve as
> controls, such that the hidden variable is all that is varying, plus, of
> course, the output.

Right. And important. Work with what you have, don't hold out for something
better but unobtainable.