I wrote:

I recall that chemical binding energy maxes out at around 4eV per atom in a
> material; so perhaps 10eV is a safe upper limit.  Have you calculated what
> 28 KJ would be, divided among the approximate number of atoms contained
> within the mass that is possibly acting as a storage device?

Here's a *very* rough calculation coming from the other direction.  Suppose
a high capacity battery made of pure nickel could store 10eV chemical
binding energy per atom.  How much nickel would you need to store 28 KJ?

28 KJ = 1.75E23 eV
1.75E23 eV / 10 eV*atom^-1 = 1.75 E22 atoms
1 mol = 6.02E23 atoms
1.75E22 atoms / 6.02E23 atoms*mole^-1 = 0.029 moles nickel
0.029 moles nickel * 58.70  g*mole^-1 = 1.70 g nickel

I assume that the wire they are using is far heavier than 2 grams -- a US
nickel coin, which is similar in composition to constantan, is 5g.  Perhaps
I have done something wrong in my calculation?

Eric