I am thinking along the line of the second concept that you list at the end.
The photon would cease to exist at any energy if allowed to continue by itself
from the spaceship that is infinitesimally close to the boundary.  So, instead,
the second ship intercepts it and any modulation it contains and then uses a
new transmitter at a higher frequency to begin the path back to us.  The main
point is that if they had tried to use the original frequency that they
received from the first guy, it too would have gone away by the time it reaches
us.  The magic is in the fact that more energy is available to complete the
path.

I believe that this technique makes good sense and would allow the first ship
to communicate back home.  It still remains to be seen whether or not we
receive the message before a very long time has elapsed.  consider that the
first guy has virtually stopped moving as far as we are concerned and it seems
possible that the second ship would see him moving pretty slowly, but not as
slowly as we observe.

My intuition is that the second spaceman would very quickly reach a state of
extreme retardation as he approached the boundary and that there would be a
short time window during which he could send a signal before he also froze.
This is heavy.  For some reason it reminds me of the guy that covered half a
given distance in a certain amount of time.  He never gets there as a result
since distance can be halved forever.

Dave