Eric,

It's good to hear Ron Maimon is trying to develop this theory.

But, the math is truly confusing, bewildering and intimidating -
even to formulate the problem, let alone solve it.
When composite particles are involved, calculating tunneling probability
is almost intractable - even in free space, much less in condensed matter.

A recent paper on composite particle tunneling -
"Tunneling of a molecule with many bound states in three dimensions"
http://iopscience.iop.org/0953-4075/46/4/045201
(free - with registration)
- (and, the many references it cites) shows how tricky this is.
There are some related papers on arxiv.org too.

In the case of LENR, I think the empirical trumps the theoretical.

-- Lou Pagnucco