Ed,

I assume you are referring to Maimon's theory, which I am not familiar with.

When you say "the expected reaction is hot fusion", are you only
referring to highly energetic collisions?

Do you think the theory X.Z.Li, et al, involving resonant tunneling
(at low kinetic energy), allegedly avoiding energetic byproducts, might
be correct?  Some references --

"Deuterium (Hydrogen) Flux Permeating through Palladium and Condensed
Matter Nuclear Science"
http://iccf9.global.tsinghua.edu.cn/LENR%20home%20page/acrobat/WeiQdeuteriumh.pdf
"A Chinese view on summary of condensed matter nuclear science"
http://166.111.26.4/JOFE2004Sept.Vol23No3P217.pdf
"Fusion energy without strong nuclear radiation"
http://www.springerlink.com/index/w4721655219541kk.pdf
"Multiple Scattering Theory (MST) and Condensed Matter Nuclear
Science—“Super-Absorption” in a Crystal Lattice—"
http://iccf9.global.tsinghua.edu.cn/LENR%20home%20page/acrobat/LiXZmultiplesc.pdf

I am agnostic on this topic, and am very interested in your view.

-- Lou Pagnucco