>Another problem with this is that in order to bring the cathode surface to
a place where the IR camera can detect heat, you pretty much have to
clobber the experiment. >Plus you make it impossible to do ordinary
calorimetry.

Yes very hard to do IR temp sensing in a wet cell electrolytic system.
Seems much easier in a dry gas system, which is a more useful result in any
case....
If your trying to measure heat generated in a substance....(Which in fact
is what your trying to measure) it strikes me that Calorimetry is probably
the hardest way to do it....

To stay in theme for this series of posts I'll take some liberties and
rephrase....
     "A wind tunnel is useless unless you can stick the whole plane in
there..."
The wright brothers tiny wind tunnel allowed them to measure the parameters
necessary to build a plane.

I'm trying to understand the best way to build a LENR wind tunnel, and
while eventually the goal is to have a macro system
that generates useful energy. The wind tunnel goal is to take data.... the
value of the wind tunnel is in the data that allows  the end result ie the
flying plane....

If you agree that the goal is to find a repeatable  reliable result then
quickly  directly sensing the production of heat in the material under test
is
much more useful than perfect calorimetry that takes hours to get a
result....

The obsession with calorimetry seems to be more a byproduct of the early
history of this field than the best way to
explore process and material options?

I realize that I've shown up here as a newbe and immediately gored the
sacred cows and questioned the answers of some of the most respected
longest contributing members on this list. I do so with great respect for
your opinions and only want to explore why and how not insult or denigrate.
So if your at all put off by my responses, please accept my apology.

Paul