Jones, I forgive you for hijacking the original thread since I was an
accomplice.  I would like to understand the RPF reaction better if possible and
to determine why it does not emit a gamma as you point out.  If the collisions
between the protons are elastic, then the energy could be conserved by recoil
behavior.  A great deal depends upon how long the two protons are under the
influence of the strong force once the collision occurs.

It might be difficult to make a determination of the amount of time during
which the protons are in close proximity.  I would expect the pair to be highly
excited in this situation with plenty of energy available to emit.  But, the
energy available is also the amount required to break apart the reacting
protons as well and that seems to be what ultimately occurs.  I guess one must
attempt to understand why the energy is not emitted as a gamma leaving the
protons connected which is the question at hand.

Is there proof that the gamma emission does not occur?  In the center of the
sun one might encounter an enormous flux of gammas of this binding energy and
more due to excess kinetic energy among the reacting protons.  Perhaps the bath
of high energy gammas continue to encounter the proton pairs and supply enough
energy to break them apart as it becomes absorbed.

We do know that occasionally a proton pair becomes a deuterium nucleus and the
process continues to supply heat to the solar system.  I believe that the
energy required to break apart the deuterium nuclei is not available in large
enough quantities so many of them remain intact.

Is it well understood why the pair of excited protons does not emit a gamma to
lower their energy?  Is there proof that this does not occur only to be
restored by the vast flood of gammas from other similar processes?  I ask these
questions because I do not know the answers and would like to understand why
certain behavior is observed.

Dave