On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 1:54 PM, <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

To put it in simple terms, the presence of the spectator nucleus provides
> the
> 4He, something to "push off" against, like a swimmer pushing off against
> the end
> of the pool. The spectator nucleus also gets some of the kinetic energy,
> IOW it
> moves away a little when pushed.

It reminds me of the action of a bullet against the rear part of the
chamber of a gun.  One implication appears to be that you would see 4He
traveling twice as fast in a given direction near where a reaction has
taken place than you would in normal d+d plasma fusion.

It is easy to get an intuitive sense of how the fusion would play out and
how there would be no gamma.  I wonder why this lead is not pursued further.

Eric