A Fano interference is an Interference between a background and a resonant
scattering process that produces the asymmetric line-shape.

In a lattice,  the background frequency is infrared heat, the resonant
scattering process is dipole hole/electron oscillation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fano_resonance

Fano interference blocks EMF radiation out of the cavity, and redirects it
inward to focus on the inside of the cavity.

Fano resonance is a means to concentrate EMF into a sub-nanometer volume by
imposing a dark mode into the EMF.

The "weird kind of loss" is the loss of far field EMF radiation.

This process produces EMF that are near or at the atomic scale in a ultra
small volume "Hot Spot  -  aka NAE".

For more info see “Spaser”
The BEC of the spaser is what thermalizes the gammas
see
*Jaynes-Cummings-Hubbard (JCH) model*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaynes%E2%80%93Cummings%E2%80%93Hubbard_model