also related

Macroscopic quantum self-trapping and Josephson oscillations of
exciton-polaritons

M. Abbarchi, A. Amo, V. G. Sala, D. D. Solnyshkov, H. Flayac, L. Ferrier,
I. Sagnes, E. Galopin, A. Lemaitre, G. Malpuech, J. Bloch
(Submitted on 21 Dec 2012)
A textbook example of quantum mechanical effects is the coupling of two
states through a tunnel barrier. In the case of macroscopic quantum states
subject to interactions, the tunnel coupling gives rise to Josephson
phenomena including Rabi oscillations, the a.c. and d.c. effects, or
macroscopic self-trapping depending on whether tunnelling or interactions
dominate. Non-linear Josephson physics, observed in superfluid helium and
atomic condensates, has remained inaccessible in photonic systems due to
the required effective photon-photon interactions. We report on the
observation of non-linear Josephson oscillations of two coupled polariton
condensates confined in a photonic molecule etched in a semiconductor
microcavity. By varying both the distance between the micropillars forming
the molecule and the condensate density in each micropillar, we control the
ratio of coupling to interaction energy. At low densities we observe
coherent oscillations of particles tunnelling between the two micropillars.
At high densities, interactions quench the transfer of particles inducing
the macroscopic self-trapping of the condensate in one of the micropillars.
The finite lifetime of polaritons results in a dynamical transition from
self-trapping to oscillations with pi phase. Our results open the way to
the experimental study of highly non-linear regimes in photonic systems,
such as chaos or symmetry-breaking bifurcations