From: Joshua Cude <joshua.c...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thu, May 30, 2013 1:38 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:new hypothesis to confute regarding input energy in Ecat test

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Berke Durak <berke.du...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In fact I said the 3-phase input to the box was particularly unnecessary
> *because* only single-phase was used for the box.

There are legitimate reasons to prefer 3-phase input.  If the output
of the control box is a pulse width-modulated DC signal, then you need
a high-power DC source.
There might be requirements on the control waveform.

Using three phases you can get DC with decent ripple using only a
handful of diodes.  The power never goes to zero, whereas it would go
to zero 100 times a second if you were using a full-wave rectifier
with single-phase input.  If the peak power required by the e-CAT is
around 1 kW, then you would need caps supplying up to 1 kW.  We're
talking ~100 µF caps rated at 350V supplying 3.5A.  Such large caps
are difficult to find and it makes more sense to go with multiple caps
in parallel to supply that current.  These caps would dissipate a
couple watts each.  Temperature very quickly shortens the lifetime of
aluminum electrolytic caps.  Hence, if you use them you reduce the
reliability of your device, which could be a problem for the e-Cat.
And the above assumes the peak power is 1 kW.

So I don't think you can say that 3-phase input is particularly
unnecessary, unless you know things about the e-Cat we don't know.

I don't buy it. The reactor is a sealed faraday cage, so it's not going to care
about ripple or dc vs ac. It's just a thermal interface. But in any case, in
the dummy run, they measured the power to the ecat so that suggests it's an
ordinary ac signal. Anyway, a box powered by ordinary mains can produce any
signal shape they want. They wouldn't go to 3-phase just to skimp on diodes and
capacitors. The 3-phase looks more like obfuscation to me.