On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:32 AM, Joshua Cude <joshua.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good grief. The resistors are coils, presumably helical solenoids with the
> axis parallel to the reactor cylinder.  The magnetic field is near zero
> outside a solenoid, except at the ends.

The magnetic field outside a solenoid is smaller than inside but not "zero".
The flux lines have to be closed, and thus there is flux outside, and there is
no meaningful lower limit for macroscopic magnetic fields.

In addition to the magnetic field all around the solenoids, depending on how the
resistors are wired there will be transverse magnetic fields due to the greater
loops of current; the currents in this device will be on the order of a few
amperes in a relatively small device.

But the most important point is that we do not know the sensitivity of the
system to low-frequency magnetic or thermal signals.  It might be quite
sensitive.  We do know that the e-Cat is supposed to use a "proprietary
waveform".

> Moreover, the Ni is above the Curie point at those temperatures, and so is not
> ferro-magnetic.

Beyond the Curie point mesoscopic domains won't exist but individual nuclei are
still affected by magnetic fields.  The Larmor frequencies of the nickel and the
hydrogen will be in the kilohertz range in Earth's field, so you cannot exclude
the involvement of weak low-frequency magnetic fields.  This is a proprietary
system with unknown physics and as far as we know you're not privy to some
secret information.

> What? No! What are you smoking?
>
> Do you notice how tungsten light bulbs glow for a fraction of a second after
> you turn them off? That's thermal mass. Photographers measure the flicker of
> tungsten lights, and it's less than 10%. Now, the visible light output is
> far from linear, with a threshold at near full power, so that means there's
> probably even less variation in the thermal output over the cycle. And
> that's a tiny filament. For the heating resistors, it would be even less.

> And now imagine if the heating resistor varies its thermal output by a per
> cent or less, and if only a fraction of the heat from the resistor reaches
> the SS cylinder, which has a mass of 1.5 kg (probably a thousand times that
> of a tungsten filament, and 4 times the heat capacity).

> There is no way any temperature ripple would be observed in the steel, let
> alone reach the core.

What do you mean there is "no way it would be observed"?  Thermal diffusion
equations are linear and time-invariant, therefore any AC component can
be observed.

And the large thermal mass of the whole isn't in the path from the resistor
coils to the perimeter of the cylinder where the reactions might be taking
place.

In any case, sufficiently precise instrumentation will allow the slow and stable
100 Hz signal to be picked up anywhere.  Noise due to e.g. the reaction itself
or convection the signal can be eliminated by temporal averaging.

Nuclei are capable of reacting to low-frequency, low-intensity magnetic fields
as shown in nuclear magnetic resonance.

The question is again the same.  We don't know the sensitivity of the LENR to
low-frequency thermal signals, so this might be irrelevant or this might be
part of the secret.

But in any case, if Rossi needs a specific waveform, and by waveform I'm talking
at the sub-second timescale, then it makes perfect sense from an electrical
engineering point of view to first obtain a clean DC source and then use that to
generate whatever waveform is needed.

And obtaining clean, high-powered DC with a thermally robust circuit is much
easier from three-phased power than single-phased power.

And this is only one valid reason for using triphase.

It seems that in your mind anything Rossi does can be construed as being part of
a trick or ploy.

> They measured the power to the ecat on the lines going in to the ecat using
> clamp on meters in the December run, and in the dummy run in March. So it's
> ac at the line frequency; the meter has a narrow frequency range.

That's not clear to me from the report.  Here is what it says:

> The instrument was connected directly to the E-Cat HT cables by means of three
> clamp ammeters, and three probes for voltage measurement.

Which cables are those?  If we read the part about the dummy test, we read:

> The electrical power to the dummy was handled by the same control box, but
> without the ON/OFF cycle of the resistor coils. Thus, the power applied to the
> dummy was continuous.

> In the final part of the test, the COMBINED POWER to the dummy + control box
> was around 910-920 W.

Therefore they placed their clamps before the supply.

> Resistor coil power consumption was measured by placing the instrument in
> single-phase DIRECTLY on the coil input cables, and was found to be, on
> average, about 810 W. From this one derives that the power consumption of the
> control box was approximately = 110-120 W.

To me this seems to mean that they measured power before the control box in both
tests, and during the dummy test they were able to directly hook their equipment
to the wires going to the reactor since the proprietary industrial trade secret
waveform wasn't applied.

This makes sense, since the PCE-830 power analyser can capture waveforms.

> And in March it's single phase ac. There's no reason they need high power dc.

Please stop pretending you know the details of the system and the trade-offs and
design goals of Rossi et al.

In all cases, three-phase power makes good sense for an industrial system,
especially if it is meant to generate power.

> So, in the end you admit that it's not needed for this purpose, and that
> it's a bother. Why bother? I explained that. It forces the use of a specific
> mains line that will not be used for anything else. It increases the
> complexity, which gives much opportunity for deception. And it makes much
> higher power available, in case he wants to make it glow.

What?  I'm not admitting anything.  Unlike you I don't know pretend to know
how their system works.  Triphase is legit and not suspicious, that's all I'm
saying.

Your claim that it only makes sense as a scamming aid remains unsupported.
--
Berke Durak