James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The reason CF was not accepted is it was discovered in the academy of a
> rural culture and the elites are, as usual, highly identified with the
> centers of population.  This problem has only gotten worse since the
> Wrights.

The "not invented here" syndrome. Yup, that is part of the problem.

Morrison was terrible about that, with his "regionalization of results"
theory. What I called his Aryan Science Numerology. He was promoting that
long before cold fusion came along. Only white people can do science!
Northern Europeans, not those unwashed Italians and certainly not <shudder>
the Japanese.

Quoting the NOVA program in 1991:

Voiceover introducing Morrison: "A disturbing pattern emerged in cold
fusion experiments. Labs at high prestige universities generally got
negative results. Elsewhere results were often positive." [World map is
displayed with voice-over.]

Dr. Morrison speaks on camera:

"I was absolutely astonished when I took northern Europe – northwestern
Europe.  All the results were, no, no, no, no – they couldn't find it. And
when I took southern Europe it was all yes, yes, yes.  And when I took
eastern  Europe it was all yes, yes, yes.  The United States divided into
two parts. If you took the major laboratories and what I call the greater
region of The New York Times – where it was read very much – it was no, no,
no. If you took the remainder of the United States – the southern part of
the United States, it was yes, yes, yes.... This rather horrified me."

Oh yes Doug. Astonished and horrified, just as you were time after time
giving lectures on campuses about how only white people can do science.
Year after year you were surprised by this. You should have carried around
smelling salts to avoid fainting fits every time you uncovered more
"evidence" for your pet theory.