Patent rules in the U.S. have recently changed effective March 18, 2013

Priority is now first to file not first to invent....
LENR when it finally becomes economically viable (its been real soon now
for 20yrs) will be an epic patent battle with
every half brained idea posted somewhere in random spewing for the last 20
yrs.
Just the discussions on vortex will be fertile ground for invalidating
patents...

The key difference in the new U.S. patent law is this...

With first to invent if you could prove you invented something before the
person trying to patent it you win.
now that does not matter... prior art now only includes publicly available
information....

I found this document to be a good guide to the new patent rules...
http://www.biz-patlaw.com/files/Download/OCT11BIL.pdf

European  patents must meet the sufficiency of disclosure test....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sufficiency_of_disclosure

Paul