On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 9:55 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

It appears that the actual motion of the Ni and H atoms is still far
> smaller than that required to breach the coulomb barrier.  I would like to
> find that thermal or sound alone is enough to lead to LENR, but it just
> does not seem to be energetic enough.

At the energies we're talking about (<< 20 keV), it seems like Coulomb
penetration is effectively zero.  The only hope we have at these
temperatures is tunneling.  My naive understanding is that there's Coloumb
penetration -- jumping over the wall -- in which case the height of the
wall is important; and there's tunneling -- teleporting through the wall --
in which case the width of the wall is important.  I think the latter
phenomenon is where our hopes are best placed at these energies.

Eric