I am not sure this would apply equally to the powders I am making (but it
might). If you look at the SEM of the thermochemically modified powder, you
see that even though the powder is held together at touch points, it is
still highly porous down to near nanoscale. This powder still has oxide
that is keeping it from sintering into a dense solid.