the regulation is based on the linear law no threshold which is false.
low dose are much less toxic, and sometime protective, and slow dose are
much less toxic.
that is a long time know fact, much before LENR...

http://nextbigfuture.com/2012/05/prolonged-low-dose-radiation-study-at.html
http://e2phy.in2p3.fr/2001/tubiana2.doc (sorry in french, try googl
translation, or maybe find englsh equivalent)
http://www.monbiot.com/2011/04/04/evidence-meltdown/
http://www.angelfire.com/mo/radioadaptive/ramsar.html

However when you get dose around 1Sv and people start to vomit, the
statistics match reality.
>From what you says here (LENR trained me to be careful with consensus and
media claims) the tanks are dangerous.

The rate of survival of the hundred of suicide firemen who stopped the fire
in chernobyl, was above 80% despite many Sv absorbed... this let think that
Soviet Union have some experience in high radiation syndrome.

It seems their rate of cancer is higher, but nothing to compare with the
risk of smoking, or drinking alcohol, or eating too much.
For liquidators, the main risk is cardiovascular like the population, and
most concerns are psychologic for the population (and are serious).

from other sources, and earlier weeks, the claim of leaks were compared to
a quarter to the banana production on the planet and a quarter of a single
coal power plant annual radioactive emission.
we should also compare with rare earth mines radioactive productions,
required by wind turbines.
I know that in france the river Rhone is the biggest radiation leak (all
natural).
The local impact of leaks is serious, but the regional and local impact is
negligible (yet easily detected, because we can measure radioation more
easily than chemical).

Maybe it is worse that the data few weeks ago.
Anyway we should compare with real danger and not with regulation done to
exaggerate risk and work in "as low as reasonably acceptable" (ALARA).

On that subject I find contradiction like I see on LENR and many subjects.
I noticed many huge exaggeration on the net, of few orders. I don't really
know the government positions (they are not much relayed by media), but
some technical report clearly disagree with what looks like scaremongering.

What is strange is the huge claims of risk, while the reactor were much
less leaking than in chernobyl, and while the wind were helping much to
limit the tragedy.

I would ask people interested in that question to look for evidence of
manipulations by activists groups.

anyway, nuclear energy is dead, and we should focus more on LENR
development.
We should also focus on decommissioning method, and radioactive waste
incineration in LFTR or Hybrid-LENR reactors.