FYI,

>From String Theory for Dummies (I hang out there a lot)

One key component of Maxwell’s unification was a discovery that the
electromagnetic force moved at the speed of light. In other words, the
electromagnetic waves that Maxwell predicted from his theory were a form of
light waves.

Quantum electrodynamics retains this relationship between electromagnetism
and light, because in QED the information about the force is transferred
between two charged particles (or magnetic particles) by another particle —
a *photon,* or particle of light. (Physicists say that the electromagnetic
force is *mediated* by a photon.)