Learning to live in this universe is a hard thing. With new knowledge comes
new challenges.

At the dawn of the atomic age, the men who gave it birth saw the new
challenge.

"When you see something that is technically sweet, you go ahead and do it
and argue about what to do about it only after you've had your technical
success.

But when you come right down to it the reason that we did this job is
because it was an organic necessity. If you are a scientist you cannot stop
such a thing. If you are a scientist you believe that it is good to find
out how the world works; that it is good to find out what the realities
are; that it is good to turn over to mankind at large the greatest possible
power to control the world and to deal with it according to its lights and
its values.
We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people
cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu
scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that
he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and
says, "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all
thought that, one way or another."

Robert Oppenheimer