On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 6:39 PM, H Veeder <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:

If so, if it were possible to switch the barrier off, that would be like
> opening a floodgate, so to speak. Fusion is likely to follow but it would
> not be a necessity for the release of energy.

It seems to me that in order for Coulomb barrier to be "switched off" in
this manner, it's not going to come for free.  You're going to have to feed
a ghastly amount of energy into the system somehow in order to effect this
hypothetical flipping of the light switch.  In other words, the switch is
probably going to be unlike a normal light switch and instead will be very
difficult to flip on and off.  The energy has to come from somewhere in
order to keep the books of the Bank of Heisenberg balanced.

Eric