One big limitation of gamma decay is for nuclear states of zero spin. This
is the usual case in LENR. A state of zero spin cannot transition to
another state of zero spin by emitting a photon. As discussed in chapter
this violates conservation of angular momentum.

But there are other ways that a nucleus can adjust energy besides emitting
an electromagnetic photon. One way is by kicking an atomic electron out of
the surrounding atom. This process is called "internal conversion" because
the electron is outside the nucleus. It allows transitions between states
of zero spin.

For atoms, two-photon emission is a common way to achieve decays between
states of zero angular momentum. However, for nuclei this process is less
important because internal conversion usually works so well.
Internal conversion is also important for other transitions. Gamma decay is
slow between states that have little difference in energy and/or a big
difference in spin. For such decays, internal conversion can provide a
faster alternative.

Internal conversion may be where the excess elections come from in LENR
systems. Electrons could be carrying away spin in a zero spin nuclear
reaction.

I am sure that in a complex cluster fusion/fission reaction nature will
balance the spin books correctly.