        From: Jones Beene [mailto:jone...@pacbell.net]
        Sent: vendredi 28 mars 2014 05:15
        To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
        Subject: RE: [Vo]:Mizuno slides coming

        Guys,

        You may have missed one huge detail. Did not the gas quantity in the
reactor actually increase significantly after 30 days compared to initial
conditions ?

        Maybe I am the one to have misinterpreted that detail, which would
be extremely important and would seem to negate the possibility of from D+Ni
reactions. See Slide 46. It indicates to me that there was approximately
twice the number of gas molecules at the end of the run compared to the
start and to the null run.

        If D2 gas reacts with nickel, not only do you get radioactive ash,
which is not mentioned but surely would have been mentioned if it was there,
but also a drop in pressure and in the quantity of gas - as hot protons are
captured in the metal and neutrons are absorbed.

        Instead, the number of gas molecules approximately doubles during
the run. That is the main reason to look for a reaction where atoms of D2
shift isotopcially to nearly twice the number of atoms of H2 while producing
only moderate levels of gamma radiation.

                        That kind of radiation would stand out like a sore
thumb.

                        With 150 watts of power from average 7 MeV protons
for 30 days, the Mizuno lab would be a small Fukushima…

                                From: torulf.gr...@bredband.net
                                I see you was quicker with neutron capture.
                                But the should look for He4 in the Ni metal.
                                Eric Walker wrote:
                                H Veeder wrote:

                                Going from D to H should be endothermic.
                                Exciting slides.  I do not have the
wherewithal to assess their calorimetry, so I will assume it is accurate.
                                Here are some exothermic reactions involving
generation of H from D:
*       d + 60Ni → 61Ni + p + Q (6.1 MeV)
*       d + 61Ni → 62Ni + p + Q (8.9 MeV)
*       d + 62Ni → 63Ni + p + Q (5.1 MeV)
*       d + 64Ni → 65Ni + p + Q (7.9 MeV)
                                Note that in the authors'
back-of-the-envelope calculations using two d+d branches, yielding 4.03 MeV
and 3.27 MeV respectively, they came to an expected energy output that was
lower than the one they think they observed.  So the higher Qs of the above
reactions fit that picture nicely.  Their slides on the neutron capture
cross sections of nickel suggest that they are also looking at thinking
about the d+Ni reactions.  Regarding the radiation measurements they have
not yet reported on -- I will call out a guess that they will report
evidence of beta+ and beta- decay.
                                The treated nickel is interesting looking.
I assume this is what the nickel looks like prior to a reaction.  Note that
there is greater occasion for electrically insulated grains after the
treatment than before the treatment.
                                Note that the NiD system is quite different
than the oft-studied PdD system.  I vaguely recall sometime back that proton
and deuteron capture are not favorable in palladium, whereas proton capture
is favorable in nickel.  What is interesting in the above scenario is that
we are looking at the possibility not of proton capture but of neutron
capture.
                                Eric