On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 8:06 AM, Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

There would be a net decrease in gas quantity under any scenario in which
> D2 reacts with nickel – never wound an increase be expected, even small -
> much less a ~2:1 increase in gas quantity. Amazing.

I think the lead that you and Axil are pursuing on the possibility of some
way of splitting the deuterons in a special near-field magnetic field in
the environment provided by nickel cavities is a thought-provoking one, and
I'll be interested to see where the thought experiment goes.

For the moment, I figure we each of us gets to egregiously ignore at least
one major claim or implication of any item of news until one has lost
enthusiasm for what one gets in return (in doing this, I'm just formalizing
the existing practice on this list). The claim I will egregiously ignore
for the moment as either being artifact or something that is different from
what we currently understand it to be is the idea that there were twice as
many gas molecules after the experiment had run than at the time it had
started.  (Because I'm *egregiously* ignoring the detail, I make no claims
as to the plausibility that something is wrong with it.)

What this gets me in return:

   - The p+Ni lead appears to align with the thoughts of the experimenters
   themselves, who included graphs of the neutron capture cross sections for
   nickel in their slides.
   - The p+Ni lead takes on a similar shape to earlier speculations about
   proton capture in the NiH system and to 4He generation in the PdD system
   (e.g., involving electric arcs between insulated grains).
   - The authors mention that if you calculate the amount of energy that
   would be expected of reactions generating between 3-4 MeV each, you would
   get less energy than they observed.  This is a detail you have to
   egregiously ignore to put forward a reaction that produces on the order of
   400 keV apiece.

(Another detail *I'm* egregiously ignoring at the moment is the expected
Bremsstrahlung radiation from fast protons; I'm starting to wonder whether
whatever is going on can diffuse even kinetic energy into the electronic
structure.)

But, again, I like where you're going with the deuteron splitting and the
neutron either decaying over a period of minutes, or instantaneously
changing to a proton due to the weird way the process unfolds.  Can we
agree on this -- your argument will not be expected to predict beta+ or
beta- decay signatures in any significant amount, whereas mine will?

Eric