as an IT engineer, I know that pathology and we are trained to avoid that
irresistible tendency for innovative guys...

patrick de gayardon died from this last minute change
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_de_Gayardon

I'm lucky not (yet) to work on life support application.
However I know what is an epic failure for a demo.

the developer, the innovator, should never be the boss, or failure should
be acceptable.