Robin, etal---

It is via coupling to a magnetic field that energy is added to increase the
angular momentum of a nucleus in NMR devices and hence the energy of the
subject nucleus.  The energy is then re-deposited in the magnetic field when
the field strength changes from a resonance value for the subject nucleus.  It
is my understanding that this happens in small quanta of energy associated with
the individual spin states (J) of the subject nucleus  (increments of h-bar.)
The absorption and re-emission of energy is what is monitored during MRI.  The
activation of higher spin states with more than one quanta of spin energy is
possible.   The higher the energy absorption the easier it is to monitor the
signal.

The same sort of activation of resonances of electric dipoles and quadrapoles
of nuclei  is also possible with resonant EM radiation .  I do not know about
coupling for re-emission to the input resonant E field.  I believe that lasers
have been used to achieve such resonant addition of energy to nuclei.  I think
it was deemed possible in the late 70’s as a way to excite radioactive nuclei
to a higher energy state with subsequent decay to a stable nuclei. It was not
implemented, however, because the government did not want to develop or
identify the technology associated with the fine tuning of lasers and gasers.

I may be wrong about the reasons it was not developed, since I did not have
knowledge of what was available then.

 However, I think current technology would allow such tuning as would be
necessary to get significant energy through the electronic cloud of an atom.

.

Bob

Sent from Windows Mail