  From: Bob Higgins
  To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
  Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:28 AM
  Subject: Re: [Vo]:SunCell - Initial Replication Attempt

  Eric,

  I am an EE.  I would try it myself, but I don't have a spot welder.  DI water
is very high resistance - essentially an insulator. But it won't stay
non-conductive for long if you are welding in it. One of the electrodes is
likely ground. To boot, you are normally connecting the electrodes to
conductive sheet metal and no one is getting electrocuted. I would be more
concerned about the energetics. I would just start with snapping the electrodes
in a plastic bucket with DI water - or maybe distilled water to start.  I would
put the electrode bars through holes in a sheet of plastic so water cannot
splash up into the welder. Doing this underwater I estimate to be a step
forward over what Mills did; and simpler. When testing with a fuel pellet, I
might encapsulate the prepared pellet in wax to isolate it - then crush through
the wax with the electrodes.

  Of course, if someone is uncomfortable with doing this, they shouldn't try
it!  Protect yourself!

  Bob