  From: Bob Higgins
  To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
  Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:01 PM
  Subject: Re: [Vo]:SunCell - Initial Replication Attempt

  In his previous bomb calorimetry, only a COP of about 2 was reported.  I have
previously pointed out in detail the flaw in this calorimetry owing to the
variable heat taken away by the large copper electrodes between the control and
the actual experiment.  Because of this flaw, the COP could be substantially
over-estimated - easily by a factor of 2.  Thus, even the COP of 2 was not
"demonstrated".

  I think it extremely unlikely that by controlling the gap you could tune the
energy delivered down by even 50%.  This type of welder has no separate means
of initiating plasma - it requires the contact.  It probably has a saturable
core to limit the current flow.  A special apparatus would be needed to deliver
an ignition pulse and then a controlled energy in the plasma conduction.  This
would probably be a regulated capacitor discharge circuitry to get to the very
high current, but short pulse needed to create a 5 joule ignition.  I think
there is no chance to verify a 5 joule ignition with this spot welder setup.

  Best case is to replicate what Mills has done with ~200 joule input and with
better calorimetry (for example, doing it with the electrodes under water).

  Bob Higgins