David,

I strongly disagree with the conclusions you have expressed regarding the
ash sample isotope fraction.

First, as I explain in this (rather-long-winded) mail from yesterday, the
ENTIRE ASH SAMPLE BULK was analyzed by ICP-MS as consisting of 99.3%
enriched Ni-62.

   ( see: http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l%40eskimo.com/msg98350.html )

Allow me to repeat this crucially-important point:   The 2.13mg ash sample
contained 2.12mg of PURE Nickel-62.

Only the SEM/EDS and ToF-SIMS methods are restricted to analyzing the
surface-layer composition.

While this still only represents a small sample of the complete reactor ash,
I have a difficult time believing that a substantial fractionation of nickel
isotopes occurred.  I suspect that most of the other fuel elements are not
appearing in the ash because they migrated elsewhere in the reactor vessel
and were missed by sample bias, but I have a difficult time imagining how
the 99.3% Ni62 grain could be the result of isotope fractionation, all
things considered here.

-Bob