James Wilkins wrote:
> Anyway, have you considered supporting streaming animations in addition
> to pre-recorded ones?  One thing I've noticed about existing 3d
> environments is that making avatars move realistically is rather hard:
> you have to have all desired motions available, find the correct ones
> quickly, and activate the animations in the correct sequence and timing.

With the technology the end-user would likely have, the best way to do
this is for the client to have a script that says
"when object x is moving, activate it's walking animation." The key to
getting smooth, realistic animations is to do as
*much* as possible client-side. However fast networks get, it will
*always* be quicker to load something off the hard
disk than the network connection.
> It would seem much more natural to capture real motion using various
> devices like cameras, accelerometers, bend sensors, and so on, and
> translate this motion into actions of the 3d avatar in real time.  It
> would probably even be possible to translate simple mouse motions into
> gestures more spontaneous than those available with pre-recorded animations.
>
> I realize that esoteric input devices are neither common nor readily
> available, and are not likely to be for some time, but it would be nice
> to have support for such built into VOS.

It would indeed. Maybe it would only be feasible across really zippy
(i.e. LAN or fibre-optic), but it's still a nice feature
for when and if the hardware becomes available.

-sconzey

begin:vcard
fn:Jonathan Jones
n:Jones;Jonathan