Ken Taylor wrote:
> Jonathan Jones wrote:
>
>> James Wilkins wrote:
>>
>>> [streaming animations is good for syncronization]
>>>
>> [do as much as possible client-side]
>>

> A good compromise may be to have certain movements be activated by
> higher-level scripting (such as walking animations), and others be fully
> actuated (such as which direction the head is looking). Of course, as
> motion-sensing VR type hardware becomes more common, more people will want
> higher actuation in their avatars for immersion purposes. The amount of
> real-time actuation to use should probably be configurable by the clients
> and the servers. For instance, the client controlling the avatar can set up
> how much actuation to send out on the network, the server running the space
> can have a quota or limit of the amount of actuation bandwidth allowed per
> client and the types of actuation allowed, and another viewing client can
> tell the server what kinds of actuation and how much bandwidth it wants to
> receive. This way, users with the bandwidth can have a rich experience,
> while those with slower connections don't get totally left behind.
>
> Ken

Can I propose a change in nomenclature?

As has been pointed out before, we're talking about clients and servers,
but VOS is technically P2P, so I propose we talk
about fast-side and slow-side, or local and remote. Hopefully this
conveys what we mean by client and server, but fits in
better with the P2P architecture.

I don't really see why most peers need to know *exactly* where someone
is looking, if you have a couple of defined
look-positions, and then a look-at (object), most of the hard stuff can
be done fast-side.

 -sconzey

begin:vcard
fn:Jonathan Jones