That's very interesting.  Which simulation engine is this?

Also, to reiterate my previous email, would fixed-point math improve the
situation any?

I suppose one thing to keep in mind is rigid body simulation for the
purposes of games just needs to be "good enough" and look reasonable.
Practical uses of rigid body physics in games that I have seen tend to
have quite a lot of dampening to prevent the system from flipping out.

Physics is something I haven't solved in VOS.  The current ter'angreal
uses client-side "physics" (really just trivial graviy and collision
detection) but proper rigid body physics (so that users can push and
pull things, stack things up and knock them over, etc) will likely need
to be managed by the server.