On 2/2/07, Ken Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> chris wrote:
> > On 2/2/07, Peter Amstutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Well, I assume this is a trick question.  Obviously it *should* do the
> > > same thing, but because of tiny changes in floating point precision,
> > > that isn't guaranteed, and the further you go the less likely it is to
> > > produce the same results.  Do I get a cookie?
> >
> > yup - even tho it is only 10m the difference can be surprisingly large
> > and obvious just from looking at image: out of proportion to the
> > difference in resolution at 10m (which is about 1.6 x 10^-15). See
> > attached image.
>
> Dr Ian Malcom? Is that you? ;)
Whah, who?

> > yeah - but my tests of the position sensitivity are quite scary for
> > anything u want
> > to be accurate or repeatable and for mission critical stuff.
>
> But would this kind of experiment be reproducable in the real world, even
> with super-precision equipment? I wouldn't expect to be able to drop a block
> and have it do the same thing every time. I guess a more pertinent question
> is -- are there things which *are* repeatable in the real world but would
> fail due to this kind of position sensitivity in simulation?

I think a RL equivalent, in theory, is likely to be *more precisely*
repeatable because real world has infinite resolution and a very
finely controlled physics experiment is likely to produce closer
results. The important issue here is that you have more precise
control over the computer sim but less precise results output for
these highly sensitive sims. But if you also control the location of
the experiment and point of observation then you can get more
predictable, accurate results (even identical) on the computer.

chris