Hi Marco,
Indeed it should be PLATFORM=thunder, according to my understanding.
Second, you also need to have the thunderx cross compiler installed on
your build machine (aarch64-thunderx-linux-gnu-gcc), so it seems to
me. It is a Cavium tool, part of their thunderx-tools, not sure where
it can be downloaded from.

Regards,
Rami Rosen