On Nov 29, 2017, at 3:09 AM, Marco Varlese
<mvarl...@suse.de<mailto:mvarl...@suse.de>> wrote:

Hi Ed,

On Wed, 2017-11-29 at 03:24 +0000, Ed Kern (ejk) wrote:

All the jobs that ive looked at vpp verify’s are still set to ‘single use
slave’  So there is no re-use..

if the job is run by jenkins and is either ubuntu or centos it will attempt to
pull and install
ubuntu:
vpp-dpdk-dev
vpp-dpdk-dkms

I suppose that's exactly my point of "not-clean-state”.

Just to be clear…

Are you unhappy that it is doing those package installs before running the make
verify (or build.sh in the case of opensuse)
Or just because you think those package installs are breaking the build.

It will attempt to install but since it finds those packages already installed
then obviously it doesn't keep going.

well no…well I certainly should have kept going (you trimmed the log you sent
to not include the failure or a link to a specific
job.

I was trying to ask and understand how is it possible that on a "fresh booted"
VM there're already packages installed.

Well when either the openstack or container image are ‘booted’ neither dpdk or
vpp are installed.
32k other prereqs and base packages but (tmk with openstack clone) not dpdk.

I suppose that what the message "Up-to-date DPDK package already installed"
points out, am I correct?

again i want to be careful we are on the same page..

DPDK is not installed in the base template image.

DPDK IS now installed as a package (to ubuntu and centos):
AFTER check style
BEFORE make verify or build.sh
as part of the jenkins build scripts.

Similarly, the DPDK tarball is already downloaded when the 'curl' command runs
since the source tarball can already be found in /dpdk

So from the base template we go from no directory
template base image is spun up
git clone/fetch/etc is run
check style is run
there should be no dpdk.xxx.tar.xz anywhere at this point
make verify or build.sh (im only speaking about verify builds )  is run
as part of that ( i myself trip the download by doing make config in the dpdk
directory, never bothered to track down how it is tripped ‘normally’)
the tar.xz is pulled.

if you actually see an order different then this id be curious to see it.

thanks,

Ed

centos:
vpp-dpdk-devel

if running the build of opensuse or any build outside of jenkins it will
attempt to build it from scratch..
Right, I believe that should always be the approach tho...

(thats one of the issues you were seeing the other day)

https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/9606/

both that dpdk-17.08 rev’d up and also the fact that they added stable to the
directory name..
and to make matters worse (only because their mirrors are hosed)  the makefile
was pointed at fast.dpdk.org<http://fast.dpdk.org/>
which points to three servers that return at least two different cksums…(So a
total of 3 different a. pre 11/27 b. two post 11/27)
in my patch above i just changed it to static.dpdk.org<http://static.dpdk.org/>
which is slower but consistent.
Great... we could have modified my patch since yours looks pretty similar...
anyway, I abonded mine with the open yours gets merged sooner.

Note: ignore the cpoc failures…im still bumping into oom condition waiting on
vanessa to come back and bump me up
https://rt.linuxfoundation.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=48884

On Nov 28, 2017, at 7:58 AM, Marco Varlese