Hi,

As per this [1], after tcp_max_tw_buckets threshold is hit timewait time is 0
and this [2] explains what will go wrong. Assuming you’re hitting the
threshold, 1s timewait-time in vpp will probably not be enough to match
performance.

Not sure what you mean by “short link”. If you can’t use multiple source IPs or
destination IPs in the active opens between vpp and the upstream servers,
there’s not much that could be done beyond what’s mentioned above as vpp can’t
allocate connections. If your nginx and server it’s proxying for are colocated,
and the server can use vcl, you could maybe try to use cut-through sessions as
those do not consume ports in tcp.

[1] https://sysctl-explorer.net/net/ipv4/tcp_max_tw_buckets/
<https://sysctl-explorer.net/net/ipv4/tcp_max_tw_buckets/>
[2]