Hi Richard,

It sounds like the xxx.xxx.6.96/29 (I am assuming this is public IP
address space) may not be externally routed to xxx.xxx.6.90 by your
ISP.  The ISP must have a route on their router that looks something
like this:

    protocols {
        static {
            route xxx.xxx.6.96/29 {
                next-hop: xxx.xxx.6.90
            }
        }
    }

Or probably the Cisco equivalent.

So if the ISP for example, has your IPs set as xxx.xxx.6.88/28 then
their router will ARP for devices on the xxx.xxx.6.88/28 as they are
considered directly connected.  Since your host is not directly
connected to the ISP router, it will not be able to respond to the ARP
request.  The packet from xxx.xxx.6.100 (host) will reach the ISP router
but the ISP will not know where to send the return packet because there
is another router (your Vyatta) in between that it does not know about.

So, my questions are:

1. Are you certain that your ISP has allocated 2 /29s to you and has
routed xxx.xxx.6.96/29 to the next hop of your Vyatta router xxx.xxx.6/90?
2. Have you had the same setup working on another router?

Try giving eth1 a set of private IPs and configure NAT:

    rule 1 {
        type: "masquerade"
        outbound-interface: "eth1" <your external facing interface>
        source {
            network: 192.168.1.0/24 <or any private network>
        }
        destination {
            network: 0.0.0.0/0
        }
    }

Your host should be able to get past the router this way if you are able
to ping outside from the router itself.

Thanks!

Robyn