Just posting this back to the list as an FYI that Richard was able to
get routing working properly on his Vyatta router.  We worked off line a
bit and Richard discovered that there was an issue w/ his ISP.  Here is
his last reply:

Hi again Robyn,

So it turns out that after talking to 7 different people at my ISP, someone
finally discovered that everything up to the DSLAM had been configured. They
missed this, because they're all used to diagnosing fibre links.

So in the end, I'm extremely impressed that I can download a vmware image,
assign a hostname, interface addresses and a routing rule. After configuring
a few VLANs i have a fully functioning router just 15 minutes later.

I manage a much larger network at work, and we'll definately be looking into
Vyatta when the need for a new router arises.

Thanks again for your help,

Best regards,

Richard Nordlund.